Digital Event: Day of the Event Manager
Day of the Event Manager
The Glass Ball
Our first own digital event is a fact: during the Day of the Event Manager on June 30, 2020, we - in collaboration with FX Agency - set up a successful digital event. In this case study we will give you a look behind the scenes. We also consider the preparations: what is involved in a digital event? Believe us: enough.
For the 2020 edition of the Day of the Event Manager, we have embraced "The Glass Ball" as the theme. No one could predict the future, certainly not with the challenges at the time. That is why it was interesting to discuss new developments and trends with colleagues from different branches. What changes did they experience within their expertise? From July 1, several coronavirus measures were eased and more space was created for events. How will the event industry ensure a safe environment and successful events in practice?
During the two-hour interactive digital event, viewers could take inspiration from well-known speakers and industry peers.
About the Day of the Event Manager
In 2018 we successfully launched the Day of the Event Manager. Normally, this day takes place on June 21: the longest day of the year on which Event Managers can catch their breath after months of hectic activity. Since this year the 21st fell on the weekend and we did not want to withhold this day for our industry peers, we decided to celebrate the Day of the Event Manager on Tuesday June 30.
The program & preparations
Take a look behind the scenes!
Behind the scenes
From content to creation
A digital event involves a lot, more than you think. We started working with a small project group to shape the event step by step.
Digital event in 5 steps
- It all started with the strategy: goals, theme choice and type of digital event were determined.
- Then it was time to create content; you want people to know about your event. Think of content for our clients database and social media channels. Our Project Managers also started developing the program.
- After the entire program was established, promoting the event was important. For example, an event website with registration and program information was built. The guest experience of our viewers also had to be considered. How do you keep them involved in the event? We did this by means of email flows and choosing an interactive event with chat function. Furthermore, viewers could nominate their favorite Event Manager for a snackbox during the event.
- Show-time! During the digital event, we maintained the direction together with our digital partner.
- After the event, we asked our viewers if they wanted to complete a survey. We also sent them an aftermovie.
The digital event took place in De Lik (an old prison) in Holland. The gym had been transformed into a recording studio.
The task of moderating the digital event took on the experienced and energetic Wendelien Wouters. Before she walked into the studio, she gave viewers a quick tour of the prison through her smooth presentation style. This allowed continuous interaction between viewers and the studio. She introduced our guest speaker Christine and chaired the panel discussion. In short: she served as the leitmotiv of the story.
After the introduction, Wendelien gave the floor to our guest speaker Christine Boland (trend analyst). With her talk 'Hack the perspective' she explained how the world is upside down at the moment. The coronacrisis presents us with unprecedented challenges.
Then it was time for the panel discussion on the future of events. Maarten Schram (Managing Director IDEA), Niels Janssen (Founder FX Agency), John Bergmann (Client Services Manager ATPI) and Christine took part in this. During the talk of Christine as well as the discussion, viewers could ask questions via chat.
During the break, viewers were able to nominate their favorite Event Manager. Three prize winners were selected from the nominees: they were sent a snackbox at home.
We also offered some happy guests a unique look behind the scenes. How does it all work with the cameras and technology, the management of the chats and who are all present on the work floor? A limited number of clients were present as the audience.
10:15 uur: Lobby open
10:30 uur: Welcome by Wendelien
10:35 uur: 'Hack the perspective' by Christine Boland
11:00 uur: Break
11:15 uur: Panel discussion
11:45 uur: Closing
Take a look behind the scenes >>>
We are proud to say that we set up this digital event within 1.5 months
'First determine the content and then the digital platform that best suits it'
About 200 industry peers watched our digital event! Hard work pays off!
What else to think about
During this digital event, we took into account the applicable guidelines regarding COVID-19. This meant...
- ... that only a maximum of 30 people, including the cast & crew, were allowed to be present.
- ... that the space had to be large enough to be able to keep your distance.
- ... that we placed disinfectant hand gel at various locations onsite and that mouth masks, gloves and a forehead thermometer were present.
- ... that all those present had to answer a number of corona questions upon arrival.
Fun fact: the digital event is organized completely online; we did not speak face-to-face beforehand.
What does a digital event cost?
Good to know: keep in mind that a digital event soon comes close to a live event in terms of costs. An indication of the costs of a digital event such as this is between 30,000 and 35,000 euros.
Tips from our Project Managers:
"Good preparation and a clearly coordinated script ensure that all speakers come into their own on the day of the event"
"It is important to appoint a moderator for both content and technical questions in advance"
"Always look for the ideal balance in your event, between sending and interaction, taking into account both your digital and live audience"
ATPI & Digital Events
Have you become curious about our digital event? Watch the aftermovie below!
Maarten Schram (IDEA) and John Bergmann (ATPI)
Christine Boland (trend analyst and consultant)
Do you want to organize a digital event yourself, but you don't know where to start? No worries! We take control and help you through the entire process, from briefing to final result. Leave your details and we will contact you soon.
I want to know more